phpDesigner 7 is a PHP EDITOR and PHP IDE that gives you the possibility to work with the Yii. You can access its classes, functions and variables inside phpDesigner 7.
Yii is a high-performance component-based PHP framework for developing large-scale Web applications. Yii enables maximum reusability in Web programming and can significantly accelerate the development process. The name Yii (pronounced as Yee or [ji:]) stands for easy, efficient and extensible1).
- Model-View-Controller (MVC) design pattern: Yii adopts this proven technique in Web programming which can better separate logic from presentation.
- Database Access Objects (DAO) and Active Record: Yii allows developers to model database data in terms of objects and save their effort of writing long and repetitive SQL statements.
- Form input and validation: Yii makes collecting form input extremely easy and safe. Yii comes with a set of validators which can be used to ensure validity of input data, and it also has helper methods and widgets to indicate errors when validation fails.
- Web 2.0 widgets: powered by jQuery, Yii comes with a set of Web 2.0 widgets, such as auto-complete input field, treeview, and so on.
- Authentication and authorization: Yii has built-in authentication support. It also supports authorization via hierarchical role-based access control (RBAC).
- Theming: it enables change of the outlook of an Yii application instantly.
- Web services: Yii supports automatic generation of complex WSDL service specifications and management of Web service request handling.
- Internationalization (I18N) and localization (L10N): Yii supports message translation, date and time formatting, number formatting, and interface localization.
- Layered caching scheme: Yii supports data caching, page caching, fragment caching and dynamic content. The storage medium of caching can be changed easily without touching the application code.
- Error handling and logging: errors are handled and presented more nicely, and log messages can be categorized, filtered and routed to different destinations.
- Security: Yii is equipped with many security measures to help secure Web applications to prevent cyber attacks. These measures include cross-site scripting (XSS) prevention, cross-site request forgery (CSRF) prevention, cookie tampering prevention, etc.
- Compliance to XHTML: Code generated by Yii components and command line tools complies to the XHTML standard.
- Automatic code generation: Yii provides the tools that can automatically generate the code that you need, such as a skeleton application, CRUD applications, etc.
- Purely object-oriented: Yii framework sticks to strict OOP paradigm. It does not define any global function or variable. And the class hierarchy that it defines allows maximum reusability and customization.
- Friendly with third-party code: Yii is carefully designed to work well with third-party code. For example, you can use code from PEAR or Zend Framework in your Yii application.
- Detailed documentation: every single method or property is clearly documented. A comprehensive tutorial is also provided together with other minor tutorials.
- Extension library: Yii provides an extension library consisting of user-contributed components. This makes the above feature list never ending.
First you need to download the Yii and extract it to your project's root folder.
Create a new project in phpDesigner 7 from the menu Project > Project Manager. Under 'Libraries', add the path to Yii. Now load the new project from either the 'Project Manager' > 'Load Project' or the menu Project. You can now work with all the classes, functions and variables listed in Yii inside phpDesigner 7.
You can easily navigate and browse all listed classes, functions and variables in Yii from the menu Go to. Select Project Declaration > All. You can filter all the listed classes, functions and variables in your project including your framework in the text-field 'Search'.
The Code completion for PHP will be displayed on the fly as you continue to write your code and is able to detect the context and display PHP items based on the context. You need to be inside a PHP block in order to access all classes, functions and variables listed in your Yii. The Code Completion will be automate triggered once typing. For manual triggering simply press 'CTRL+SPACE'.
You can configure the behavior of the Code Completion from the menu Tools > Preferences > Editor > Code Completion.
The contextual Code Tip for PHP helps you complete predefined and user-defined functions easily by automatically showing the expected parameters for the current function. You need to be inside a PHP block in order to work with all listed classes, functions and variables in your Yii using the Code Tip. It is automatic triggered on the fly as you continue to write your code or manually invoked by pressing CTRL.
You can configure the behavior of the Code Tip from the menu Tools > Preferences > Editor > Code Tip.